What does general liability insurance cover?
General Liability insurance protects your organization from claims that occur during your normal business operations, such as:
- Bodily Injury: if someone injures themselves in your place of business
- Property damage: helps with claims costs if you damage someone else’s property
- Defense costs: helps pay for legal fees to defend your organization from a lawsuit
- Personal and Advertising Injury: provide coverage if your organization is sued for libel or slander
- And more, such as Supplemental Payments
What does general liability insurance NOT cover?
While general liability insurance is critical for many organizations, it only provides some of the protection you need. For instance, a GL policy does not include coverage for:
- Professional mistakes: Professional Liability insurance is necessary to protect healthcare professionals against lawsuits for errors during their services.
- Employee injuries or illnesses: Workers’ Compensation insurance is needed to cover medical expenses and disability benefits for employees who get sick or hurt on the job.
- Any Vehicles Used for Business: A commercial auto insurance policy can help you cover the costs of any accident caused by employees while driving for work.
- Damage to Business Property: A Commercial property insurance policy is needed to protect your owned or rented building(s) and equipment.
Healthcare General Liability Considerations
A typical bodily injury claim might result from someone slipping and falling on the premises of your healthcare facility due to a wet floor or a crack in the sidewalk. In these situations, filing a GL claim would help pay for medical payments and legal costs if the person sued over the incident.
Within the healthcare marketplace, GL coverage often is packaged as part of a Medical Professional Liability program. However, the professional and general liability portions maintain separate coverage terms and conditions. Standalone GL coverage is available in the marketplace if the package form is incompatible with your organization’s operations.
As specialists in the healthcare insurance marketplace, Chivaroli & Associates will work closely to determine and place the most appropriate insurance program for your organization.